The lumbar spine includes five vertebral discs connecting the sacrum and the thoracic spine. This part of the musculoskeletal system takes on heavy loads. It is the most mobile and prone to diseases, the signs of which may appear at different ages. One of these ailments is osteochondrosis of the lumbar. In addition, the patient may develop polysegmental osteochondrosis (affecting all parts of the spine). A description of the disease can be found in the International Classification of Diseases - ICD-10, where the general code M42 is assigned to osteochondrosis.
There are many ways to prevent and how to treat not only osteochondrosis of the lumbar region, but also polysegmental (M 42 code according to ICD-10).
Signs of osteochondrosis of the lower back
The cause of the development of the disease can be:
- Excessive load on the lumbar, sacral spine, which is typical for manual workers (loaders, dock workers, etc. ).
- Excessive weight of the patient, putting too much pressure on the spinal column. It is often found in both women and men.
- Lack of physical activity, physical inactivity, when blood circulation worsens, nutrition of disks with essential substances, vitamins are in short supply.
- Violation of posture caused by the habit of sitting incorrectly, often at home (hunched, skewed).
- Injuries during sports, exercises performed incorrectly.
- The age factor, when in women and men of advanced age, the bones become prone to deformation.
Symptoms of osteochondrosis in the lumbar
Pain, indicating that urgent treatment of osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine (code M 42 according to ICD-10) is necessary, can occur even when sneezing or coughing. Manifestations of pain in the lumbosacral region can be caused by a sharp movement, tilt, transfer of gravity.
The tingling may be localized or spread upward from the lower back. The pain can also radiate to the buttocks and legs. The patient's back loses flexibility. It becomes difficult for a person to perform turns, tilts. General discomfort leads to sleep disturbances, irritability, loss of strength.
As one of the possible complications of the disease - disorders in the genitourinary system. Pain may appear in the kidney area. There may be disturbances in urination.
In order to successfully cure lumbar osteochondrosis (code M 42 according to ICD-10), the patient will have to radically revise most of his everyday habits. From now on, you will need to work on your health every day. If it is different, then even in case of victory over the symptoms of the disease, it can return again. Unfortunately, this happens in many cases.
Often, during the first visit to the doctor, the patient is prescribed medication. Drugs against osteochondrosis of the lumbar relieve pain, prevent inflammatory processes.
And in folk medicine there are many recipes for medicinal infusions, ointments that can help with the diagnosis of "osteochondrosis" (lumbar or polysegmental, code M 42 according to ICD-10). Folk medicines are used externally or taken orally to relieve pain and inflammation.
However, it is known that drug therapy only stops the manifestations of the disease (pain relief), but it is not enough to thoroughly defeat the disease, it does not remove the root cause of the disease. For a full course of treatment, complex rehabilitation measures are required. Without them, treatment will not be effective, and the successes achieved will be short-lived. In some cases, a belt for osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine (corset) may be prescribed, which must also be worn at home.
A special place in the treatment of lumbar osteochondrosis (code M 42 according to ICD-10) is occupied by exercise therapy (physiotherapy exercises), special gymnastics. A set of individual exercises should be selected by a doctor, and the appointment should be implemented under the guidance of a qualified trainer. In the case when the patient has a pronounced problem of excess weight, you need to follow a diet, as well as increase daily physical activity. The complex of these measures can cure osteochondrosis.
It is also advisable to do acupuncture for osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine.
Vitamin therapy for osteochondrosis
To cure the disease, an integrated approach is important. This treatment should include vitamins, which can often be taken at home.
They are prescribed at the initial stage of the disease in order to relieve painful symptoms. Often this is enough to cure osteochondrosis and remove pain.
In addition to the fact that B vitamins reduce pain, they can also be used to improve metabolic processes, restore immunity, and sensitivity of tissues affected by the disease. They are used both in the form of injections (intramuscularly or intravenously) and in tablets.
B vitamins are found in:
- B1 (thiamine) - in grain, bread (coarse flour), in yeast;
- B6 (pyridoxine) - in vegetables, eggs, milk, liver, meat, fish;
- B12 (cyanocobalamin) - in animal products: meat, beef liver.
The introduction of vitamins B by injection is quite painful. However, when treating lumbar osteochondrosis, they are an excellent background for the main treatment with medications.
Doctors recommend using them in combination with calcium, as this combination has a beneficial effect on bones, giving them strength. But the cartilage of the intervertebral discs, most of all suffering from osteochondrosis, is strengthened with the help of vitamins of group D. Mostly, to cure the disease, experts will prescribe vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) or D2 (ergocalciferol).
The D vitamins are found in:
- egg yolks;
- tuna liver.
Vitamins A and E
A and E are powerful antioxidants. They catalyze tissue regeneration. For example, vitamin A favors the strengthening of the immune system, actively resists infections, is responsible for the harmonious circulation of calcium, phosphorus, and restores damaged tissues.
Vitamins A and E must be consumed in "tandem" - when absorbed from the intestines, their elements complement and activate each other's work. It is thanks to them that the symptoms of lumbar osteochondrosis (code M 42 according to ICD-10) disappear, and the disease is unable to spread further.
Contained in animal, plant foods:
- carrots, parsley, spinach, green onions, sea buckthorn, wild rose, apricots, mountain ash, black currant, blueberries, strawberries, blueberries;
- fish oil, liver, milk.
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) enhances the body's defenses. This is very necessary during the fight against any disease. This vitamin removes toxins, protects cartilage, muscles, bone tissue from internal and external damage.
Ascorbic acid is sold in tablets, and, in addition, in ampoules for injection (this is also possible at home). It contains rose hips, red (sweet) peppers, peas, strawberries, cabbage (broccoli, white cabbage, Brussels sprouts), needles, tangerines, oranges, tomatoes, parsley, dill.
What gives swimming and exercises for osteochondrosis
Properly organized swimming contributes to:
- Relaxation. Osteochondrosis of the lower back and polysegmental (code M 42 according to ICD-10) leads to muscle spasms, their tension, which hinders movement. Water helps the entire spine to relax, eliminates muscle spasm and at the same time strengthens the muscles.
- Acceleration of metabolic processes. The tissues of damaged and still normal discs receive the nutrition they need and begin to recover.
- Increase immunity. This is important to treat any disease.
- Regular swimming and bathing, and especially exercises in the water, which remove extra pounds of the body.
- Swimming leads to an improvement in the functioning of the heart and respiratory system, helps to create a positive attitude in order to cure osteochondrosis.
Exercises in the water, swimming are recommended both for polysegmental osteochondrosis (code M 42 according to ICD-10), and osteochondrosis of any of the sections of the spine.
If, while taking vitamins and other medications, you practice swimming and exercises in the pool, then you can cure the affected discs, improve the general condition of the entire spinal column, and get rid of pain.
Doctors advise swimming treatment only in special pools. Naturally, such treatment is usually impossible at home. But in the river, at sea, exercises are not recommended due to the fact that the flow of water bodies can cause additional stress on the spine.
When exercising in the pool, patients need to follow a few basic rules. Improper swimming and exercise can exacerbate pain:
- The water temperature should not be lower than 23 degrees, and during the first visits to the pool - at the level of 27 - 30 degrees Celsius.
- Swimming will help to cure osteochondrosis, if you do a warm-up before entering the pool. It can be simple exercises, massage. All this within a few minutes will increase blood flow to the spine and prepare it for the procedure.
- Patients diagnosed with "lumbar (or polysegmental) osteochondrosis" should avoid sudden movements in the pool.
- You can (recommended) visit the pool at least twice a week, the optimal time for one session is 40-50 minutes.
- Special water exercises, swimming for men, as well as women with osteochondrosis, should be recommended by a specialist in therapeutic exercises.
So, if you have signs of osteochondrosis (either it is lumbar or polysegmental), then in addition to home treatment (vitamins, drugs), on the recommendation of a doctor, you should visit the pool or gym. Doctors emphasize that only an integrated approach, patience, perseverance in overcoming the disease will achieve positive results during its treatment.