In combination with traditional methods of treatment, doctors often recommend that patients suffering from osteochondrosis pay attention to alternative methods. In combination with drug therapy, manual therapy and exercise therapy, the treatment of osteochondrosis with folk remedies allows you to achieve impressive results in a short time!
Various ointments and rubbing are used, compresses and lotions are applied, wraps are made and herbal baths are taken.
However, it should be understood that all these methods of treating osteochondrosis are auxiliary and are aimed solely at relieving symptoms. Therefore, it is not worth abandoning the drug therapy prescribed by the doctor, exercise therapy and physiotherapy.
General principles of treatment
In order for the treatment of chondrosis with folk remedies to quickly bring results, it is necessary to adhere to the following principles:
- Refuse to consume large amounts of salt.
- Every day, perform a set of exercises recommended by a specialist in physical therapy.
- Adhere to the principles of proper nutrition, limit the amount of sweets and fatty foods, consume more fresh vegetable and fruit juices, as well as meals rich in protein.
Decoctions and infusions of medicinal herbs can significantly improve the patient's condition. It is important to consult a doctor before using such folk methods. In addition, you should monitor the absence of allergic reactions: many medicinal plants contain strong allergens.
Most often, the following medicinal plants are used for chondrosis:
- Sunflower. Sunflower roots have pronounced medicinal properties. To prepare a decoction for one course of treatment, you will need 7-8 glasses of dried roots. It is necessary to prepare the medicine as follows: one glass of raw material is poured with three liters of water. Roots should be boiled for 5 minutes. After that, the broth is cooled. It is recommended to consume it in half a glass before meals.
- Fir cones. Raw materials should be collected in the summer. You will need about 30 medium sized buds. One cone for the night must be poured with a glass of boiling water. The infusion is divided into two parts and is used in the morning and evening. The course of treatment lasts one month.
- Currant leaves. Preparing the infusion is very simple: 0. 5 liters of boiling water are poured over 4–5 sheets of currant at night. In the morning, the infusion should be filtered. The remedy should be drunk within one day.
- Walnuts. For the treatment of osteochondrosis, only walnuts of a new crop are suitable. 3 kilograms of nuts are chopped and poured into 0. 5 liters of vodka. Infuse the remedy should be within 14 days. After that, the resulting liquid is filtered and consumed one teaspoon per day.
- Dill seeds. A glass of seeds is required to be filled with half a liter of vodka. It is necessary to insist the remedy for 7-10 days, after which it is taken in a tablespoon per day.
- Bay leaf. This inexpensive and easy-to-make remedy effectively relieves the symptoms of osteochondrosis. About 5 grams of leaves should be boiled in 0. 5 liters of water for 5 minutes. After that, the broth is placed in a thermos and infused for 12 hours. Drink the drug should be within three days. A week later, the course of treatment can be repeated.
Compresses have a local irritating and warming effect, due to which a quick relief from osteochondrosis is achieved.
All kinds of rubbing and compresses are used both to relieve acute pain in the cervical, thoracic or lumbar region of the back, and to prevent their occurrence.
One of the most commonly used folk remedies for osteochondrosis is the so-called "grandmother's rub" for the spine. This method is quite simple and affordable, while it is highly effective: after several procedures, most patients experience significant relief. Therefore, many believe that this method is the best of the existing ones.
The composition of the rubbing includes 300 ml of alcohol, 10 ml of iodine, the same amount of camphor alcohol and 10 tablets of analgin. All liquid components used in this folk method are mixed, after which analgin is dissolved in them. The mixture is used to rub the areas of the spine affected by osteochondrosis.
For patients who do not notice a significant relief of the symptoms of osteochondrosis after the use of medications, including painkillers, a course of treatment is recommended. The recipe below assumes a course of 12 days.
It is required to prepare two mixtures.
The composition of the first mixture includes:
- 50 gr mustard powder;
- 50 ml of vodka and camphor alcohol;
- 3 beaten egg whites.
All components are thoroughly mixed. The mixture is infused in a dark bowl for 12 hours.
The second mixture consists of the following ingredients:
- 100 gr fresh natural honey;
- 150 ml of alcohol;
- 50 gr of aloe juice.
The components are also mixed and infused for 12 hours in a dark place.
Mixtures are used for therapeutic compresses. Compresses are applied twice a day to the affected area. Making a compress is very simple: a natural fabric should be soaked with a therapeutic composition, applied to the body and kept until completely dry.
The scheme for applying the mixtures is as follows: the first remedy is used for three days, the second is used for the next three days. Thus, compresses alternate throughout the course. By the way, such therapeutic compresses are perfect for relieving pain in the hip and knee joints.
Folk remedies for quick relief of back pain
If you need to quickly get rid of the pain caused by osteochondrosis, you can use one of the following recipes:
- Honey-potato compress. One medium-sized potato is carefully crushed and mixed with an equal amount of honey. The mixture is applied to the tissue and applied to the affected area for 2 hours.
- Compress with kerosene. The fabric is soaked in kerosene and applied to the affected area, such as the neck or lower back, for 3 hours. To avoid evaporation of kerosene, the fabric is covered with cotton wool and polyethylene and fixed on the body with a bandage.
- Ginger and garlic. Ginger and garlic are crushed and mixed in equal parts. To the resulting mixture, add a small amount of warmed butter. The composition must be rubbed on the affected area in case of intense pain.
- Essential oils. Rubbing fir or menthol oil will help to quickly relieve pain in osteochondrosis. This recipe must be used with caution: essential oils can provoke an intense allergic reaction and skin irritation, as well as burns. To avoid unwanted effects, essential oils are pre-mixed with base vegetable oils (olive, sea buckthorn or sunflower).
Herbal teas and fees
The result from the use of herbal preparations is not immediately noticeable, but their systematic use can significantly improve the patient's condition. In addition, the effect of such fees is quite long. However, before starting a course of treatment, it is necessary to carefully study all the contraindications of medicinal plants that are part of the fees, and consult a doctor. Otherwise, the effect may be unpredictable.
Fees intended for the treatment of osteochondrosis are sold in pharmacies in finished form. You should not cook them yourself, since each collection includes herbs in certain proportions.
The composition of the fees usually includes components such as mint, licorice, calendula, St. John's wort, chamomile, mountaineer, plantain and backache.
Baths with herbal preparations not only alleviate the condition with osteochondrosis, but also normalize the general condition of the patient. For one healing bath, from 400 to 500 grams of dry raw materials are needed.
A bath can improve well-being with osteochondrosis. However, if you have diseases of the cardiovascular system, too hot baths should be avoided: the procedure has a strong effect on the heart.
Baths should be taken in courses lasting 5-7 days. Proper treatment will allow you to quickly forget about pain and stiffness in movements.
Below are the most popular and effective bath recipes that alleviate the condition with osteochondrosis:
- Based on birch leaves. Leaves must be collected in May. Dry raw materials are poured with boiling water, the resulting broth is poured into the bathroom. The duration of the procedure is half an hour.
- Chestnut bath. Chestnuts, previously chopped, should be boiled for a quarter of an hour.
- Bath with infusion of pine needles. Any needles will do: from fir, spruce, pine, etc. The needles must be boiled for 20 minutes and poured into a hot water bath. The duration of the procedure is 30 minutes.
- Chamomile bath. Chamomile flowers are infused in boiling water for half an hour. The infusion is filtered and poured into a hot bath.
When using baths for women, it is important to remember that warming up is contraindicated in inflammatory gynecological diseases. Therefore, before the course, it is important to visit a gynecologist.
Treatment with bee venom
Apitherapy (from the Latin word "apis" - bee) is a method of treatment based on the use of components contained in bee venom. At the time of a bee sting, more than 50 substances enter the human body that can have a therapeutic effect in osteochondrosis. The composition of bee venom includes fats, sterol, acetylcholine, glucose and a number of other components that alleviate the patient's condition, activate metabolism and relieve pain.
Bee venom is a remedy used by ancient healers to treat back pain. If you are afraid of pain when biting, you can use ointments, which include propolis, beeswax, pollen and bee venom extract.
Bee venom has the following effects:
In addition, the poison stimulates immune defenses, strengthens the walls of blood vessels and enhances metabolism. Thanks to apitherapy, muscle spasm can be relieved, thanks to which it is possible to eliminate the compression of the nerve roots and blood vessels.
Trying to relieve the symptoms of osteochondrosis with apitherapy at home is not safe: bee venom is a fairly strong allergen. In addition, the course of treatment for the patient, especially in the elderly, should be developed individually, taking into account the state of his health and the specifics of the course of the disease. It is better to entrust the treatment to a specialist and be sure to get a preliminary consultation with a doctor!
You need to treat your back wisely. Alternative treatment will bring results only if you first get a consultation with your doctor and are convinced that the remedy will not harm your health!